Built for Sir Walter Ramsey Kay, she was originally called ‘Gracie III’ and built alongside her sistership, Tern IV. Both yachts were built in tandem to the same drawings and with a bermudan yawl rig. Two years later, in 1926 she was converted to a ketch and in 1964 she was bought by the father of the current owner, Signor Zaccagni who named her ‘Alzavola’ which means teal.
After refits in 1982 and again in 1990-91 she is now being restored in Del Carlo Shipyard in Viareggio (2004).
‘The year of construction is 1923 and she was launched in 1924…the engine is now a Yanmar 170 hp and a complete refit was completed between 2000 and 2003’.
|Type of Boat:|
|Built By:||Philip & Sons, Dartmouth, England|
|LOA m / ft:||21.4m / 70'5|
|LOD m / ft:||18.5m / 61'|
|LWL m / ft:||14.5m / 47'5"|
|Beam m / ft:||4.1m / 13'5|
|Draft m / ft:||2.9m / 9' 2|
|Sail Stats||Sail No. 4856|
|Construction:||The hull is made from Burmese teak planks on white oak double frames fastened with copper rivets and silicon-bronze screws. The engine is a Perkins 120hp.|
|Displacement: 48 tons|