These yachts were built to the International Yacht Racing Metre Rules typified by the 12 metre, 10 metre, 8 metre and 6 Metre boats. In the 1950’s and 1960’s the 8 Metre Cruiser Racer Class was very active on the Clyde with many boats being built by McGruers. The yard wanted to pilot a lower cost design but still one that could be recognised internationally so they took commission from Mr Douglas Nisbet to build the 7-Metre Cruiser Racer ‘Zaleda’. She was designed by James McGruer who was a fine designer and a member of the international yacht racing committee of the RYA.
There were five 7 Metre Cruiser Racers built in total. ‘Norella’ was designed by Maitland Murray and built by Morrison & Lorimers of Sandbank and three further boats were built in East Germany and imported to the Clyde in 1966/7. For two years (1967/8) the 7’s had their own start in the Clyde racing.
Zaleda was built in the Clynder yard over the period July to December 1965 and then transported to the January 1966 Earls Court Boat Show where she was awarded the overall 2nd prize. Sir Max Aitken’s new yacht received the 1st prize but then the Daily Express were the main show sponsors!