Built for the Royal Yacht Squadron as the 17th challenger for the America’s Cup in 1958. This consisted of a series of seven races held in Newport, Rhode Island, USA. She was soundly beaten by the defender Columbia, but then went on to be a very successful racing yacht in the 1960s.
She was converted to a cruising yacht between 1978-86, and since then has been owned and sailed, predominantly in British waters, by the Sceptre Preservation Society.
The Preservation Society gave Sceptre a major refit with an engine installed, 12 berths, a galley and a head.
Since then Sceptre ‘has been sailed by the owners, with some chartering and sail training to offset the maintenance costs’.
For more information about Sceptre’s history and current activities click here.
|Type of Boat:||12-Metre|
|Built By:||Alexander Robertson & Sons Ltd, Holy Loch, Scotland|
|LOA m / ft:||20.85m/68'4"|
|LOD m / ft:||20.85m 68'4"|
|LWL m / ft:||15.57m / 51'|
|Beam m / ft:||3.61m / 11'8"|
|Draft m / ft:||2.90m / 9'5"|
|Sail Stats||Sail Area: Main - 1268sqft Jib(No.1) - 1100sqft Sail No: 12 K17|
|Construction:||Honduras mahogany on alternate steel and oak frames to IRC scantlings.|