Commissioned by Scott Wilson of the New Zealand Herald, she bears the same name as the 7 tonner built by Robert Logan Snr. in 1883. Scotts father Fred Wilson owned the earlier Tawera.
The second Tawera was to be the last A Class keeler designed by Arch Logan.
The Wilson family owned Tawera until 1974 and they kept a meticulous illustrated log of all her outings. Her first race was the 1936 Anniversary Regatta, when she collided with Thelma (now also under the ownership of the Dickinsons and racing in Europe).
Purchased by the Dickinsons in 2000, she has undergone restoration work to bring her closer to her original configuration. A new spruce mast, of similar dimensions to her original, is planned for this year .Tawera is managed by New Zealand Classic Yachts Ltd. and is available for charter when not being used by her owners.
Information courtesy of ‘The Classic Yacht Association Of New Zealand’.