Carrina was originally designed in 1914, with a canoe stern and spoon bow, and was kept in a shed until July of 1929 when she was commissioned and launched by Lord GF Carrington of Kingshaw. Due to the high quality of the boat-building, it is thought that no major work was needed until the Seventies when the stempost was renewed.
She has many of her original parts in the interior, including the plated pumps and marble top wash basins and the beautiful ‘french polished’ mahogany panelling. Teak dining table and chairs are all original and wonderfully preserved with the patina that only comes with age. In 1946 her rig was changed into a Bermudian staysail and running Wishbone rig. The boom was shortened by approximately 10ft (3.3m). This made her easier to handle. Fred Shepherd also added a squaresail to the sail plan.
Ownership: 1929-1934 Lord GF Carrington of Kingshaw
1934-1947 Harold Francis Blackborows of London
1947-1948 Henry Stanley Whiteside of London
1948-1950 Mary Lorna Berthon of London
1950-1953 Pinney family of Essex – cruised extensively around England, France and Spain
1953-1982 Staniland family – Cruised and lived aboard the yacht for 29 years and averaged about 5000 miles a year that included 6 Atlantic crossings.
1982-2003 John Christopher Horton – cruised the Mediterranean extensively and sailed Carrina to Brazil where he spent 3.5 years exploring the countries’ rivers and coastline. He returned to Seville in Spain where a substantial amount of work was carried out.
2003-Present day Willem van der Velde – Loves classic sailing yachts especially Carina with her large amount of original parts still in tact. She lies in the Netherlands.
Information courtesy of Willem van der Velde.
Further details can be found at Carrina Website