Launched as ‘Terpsichore’ she raced against the likes of ‘Moonbeam IV’ and ‘Britannia’ as part of a resurgence in the ‘Big Class’ after WWI and was one of the ‘Big Five’ yachts.
In 1924 the Lord of Lulworth bought her and changed her name. She continued racing and after the 30’s and with WWII involvement, Lulworth ended up on the river Hamble to be used as a houseboat. She has recently been restored in Viareggio, Italy and has the same owner as the motor-sailor, Iduna. Her sails were laid bare to the breeze for the first time in over 70 years in March 2006 and she went on to participate in the Mediterranean regattas that year.
Restored by Classic Yacht Darsena Viareggio from 2001-2006, Architect Studio Faggioni, La Spezia, Italy.
|Designer:||Herbert W White|
|Type of Boat:||Big Five|
|Built By:||White Brothers, Itchen, Southampton|
|LOA m / ft:||46.3m / 151' 9"|
|LOD m / ft:||37.2m / 122'|
|LWL m / ft:||26.6m / 87' 3"|
|Beam m / ft:||6.6m / 21' 7"|
|Draft m / ft:||5.5m / 18'|
|Sail Stats||Sail Area(Upwind): 855sq.m Sail Area(Downwind): 1,755sq.m|
|Construction:||Composite hull with the planking in Honduras mahogany.|
|Displacement: 189 Tonnes Engine: AEC 1415 - 100hp (1937)|