Commissioned for Archibald J Barr of Kilmacolm, he owned her until 1939, and then again from 1950 to 1954. In between ‘Islander’ was owned by Sir Knowles Edge, an industrialist from the Northeast of England. In 1954, Barr sold her to Ronald Strauss.
In 1964 Tom Blackwell bought her, former captain of the English Navy and heir of the Crosse & Blackwell dynasty, the famous Scottish sauces founded in 1706. With Tom Blackwell at the helm, the Islander entered a new phase and went on to record many solo circumnavigations. Blackwell sailed alone around the world a number of times in three years, returned to the Hamble for repair, paint and to prepare the ship for the next voyage. Between 1968 and 1971, he sailed her twice around the world solo, and on the third circumnavigation landed at the port of Durban, South Africa, where he spent a few weeks seeking a buyer for the boat. Finally, he managed to sell her for $ 30,000.
Black and white images courtesy of an article on http://blog.solediesel.com
The new owner, the Durban attorney John P Mathews, recruited a crew to bring the boat to New England (USA) where ‘Islander’ was planned for a refit. However, in the Canary Islands, the ‘crew’ had problems with Mathews. After two months of waiting and unfulfilled promises, the employer and the sailors were released and a new team from England took over the ship. The new crew brought the Islander to Barcelona. In 1981, Luis Gar found her deserted in Carabela Shipyards of Barcelona and bought her. In 1989 he sold to Ricardo Albiana, the current owner(2012), since when she has been in Barcelona. The current owner has started her restoration keeping as close as possible to her original beauty.
|Type of Boat:|
|Built By:||Dickie & Sons, Tarbet, Scotland|
|LOA m / ft:||17.6m / 56'6"|
|LOD m / ft:||14m / 46'|
|LWL m / ft:||12.5m / 41'|
|Beam m / ft:||4.3m / 14'9"|
|Draft m / ft:||2.3m / 7'9"|
|Construction:||Construction began in May, 1936 and delivered to her owner in April, 1937. According to the original specifications, the cruising auxiliary ketch yacht No. 570 has the approximate dimensions as follows: length overall, 566; length between perpendiculars, 490; length on waterline, 410; breadth extreme, 129, and depth from top of covering board to underside of wood keel amidships, 89. The information also indicates that the Islander was built under Lloyds Special Survey. She was built of Burmese teak, dried outdoors for eight years. The frames are oak (18 centimeters). The teak planks were 4 feet long and 45 mm thick. Her teak deck is 45mm thick.|