‘Cachalot’, French for sperm whale, was built by two gentlemen, Fred Rawlinson and John Ingram.
Built on spec and purchased by Jack Mount of Morecombe in 1930 who fished from her for 4 years in the Morecombe area. In 1935 Cachalot was sold to Bill wracko Higgins of Heswall who fished the River Dee and the coast of North Wales. The boat was handed down through the family until George Higgins was the last to own her. She was in the family for 58 years.
‘Cachalot’ was purchased in 1996 and the new owner spent seven years, part time, rebuilding her. Due to time constraints Scott Metcalf at Waterfront Marine, Penhryn, North Wales, finished her.
Information courtesy of Andy Williams.
|Type of Boat:||Morecambe Bay Prawner – Nobby|
|Built By:||Limit Motor Boat Co., Barrow in Furness, Ferry Beach, UK|
|LOA m / ft:||13.6m / 44'6"|
|LOD m / ft:||10.6m / 34'6"|
|LWL m / ft:||9.2m / 30'|
|Beam m / ft:||3.16m / 10'3"|
|Draft m / ft:||1.10m / 3'6"|
|Sail Stats||Sails by James Lawrence, Brightlingsea, Essex|
|Construction:||Larch plank on sawn oak frames, carvel construction. She is unusual as there are no garboards. At the heel of the stern post a large angled block is fitted, the planks, the first eight then go from the stern post to the keel and are fastened at their ends. The ninth plank onwards then go stem to stern.|