Originally gaff-rigged, she is considered to be the last surviving Owen “P-Class”. She was also considered to be the fastest on the Great Lakes and won every major trophy there, some more than once. She sailed only a few years in the salt water of the east coast before moving to the Great Lakes.
In the early 1930’s she was re-rigged to a fractional marconi yawl and an engine was installed to facilitate cruising. Bernice was owned in the 1970’s by Edward ‘Ted’ Walker who raced her successfully on Lake Ontario from the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. She was sister-ship to ‘Patricia’, pride of the RCYC fleet, commissioned by Commodore Norman R Gooderham who won the Richardson Cup with her in 1912 at the Chicago Yacht Club. ‘Patricia’ was scuppered off Toronto at the bequest of the Commodore upon his death.
In the late 1970’s Bernice was sold out of the club. She was restored by Rockport Marine in 2007/8 and upgraded for racing. She continues to win prizes in many categories.
|Type of Boat:||P Class|
|Built By:||Hodgdon Yard of East Boothbay, Maine, USA|
|LOA m / ft:||16.4m / 54'|
|LOD m / ft:||16.4m / 54'|
|LWL m / ft:||11.2m / 37'|
|Beam m / ft:||3.2m / 10'5"|
|Draft m / ft:||2.3m / 7'7"|
|Construction:||Double planked on white oak. Accommodation for 6 in 3 cabins, full head, galley and storage.|