Home › Forums › CYI Forums › Mediterranean Rating System – CIM. Time for change? › Mariette Rating Review
- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 months ago by Anonymous.
September 20, 2013 at 3:56 am #418Andrew CullyKeymaster
1. I think the 4% penalty for the use of powered winches punitive. I don’t believe that Mariette can gybe, tack or set sail disproportionately faster using powered winches compared to a boat like Tuiga or Mariquita which sails without the use of stored power. Possibly in the smaller classes if two evenly sized yachts race against one another then stored power would give an unfair advantage to one over the other. It’s fun sailing Mariette without power winches but if we wish to continue to compete on an even playing field then we need more crew, possibly new winches and once the wind gets up to 20 knots then we won’t be able to race within the rules. I can say that this penalty is unpopular with the captains and owners of all the larger yachts that I know and I think we should go back to the time when no penalty was applied or if this is not possible then the penalty should be reduced to 1%. As you must be aware had Mariette incurred the penalty in Barcelona we would have been dead last in each race on corrected time.
2. It seems wrong that Ketches and Yawls do not declare the sail area of their mizzen sails in the calculation of their APM. For instance I think the CIM values for Thendara give an incorrect indication of the yachts actual capabilities. Her sail area value SPV is 487m2 which theoretically means that she has a sail area that falls between Moonbeam III and IV. Secondly Thendara’s value Ps is 3.829 which is less than Moonbeam IV. Which tells the rating system that she has less volume and less wetted surface area than a yacht of a much smaller displacement. As mentioned to you I’ve raced Mariette against Thendara and Altair long enough to know that all three yachts have very similar performance characteristics and twenty seconds difference a mile is too much – possibly some of Thendara’s measurements are incorrect?
3. I don’t think that the 2% bonus given to yachts like Mariquita and Moonbeam IV for sailing with a ballooning jib a particularly fair one. I don’t think 2% on real time reflects reality. I think that Mariquita already has a better VMG than a yacht like Mariette by being able to sail directly at the mark. However I concede that if this rule is intended to be a device to improve the aesthetic value of the regattas and if that is what people want, then so be it.
4. I think that at every regatta each yachts APM and any applicable bonus/penalty should be published on the ONB to minimise confusion when scoring. I think what afyt.fr and CIM are doing by publishing certificates online is a good thing.
5. I think that discards a result during a regatta should only apply on regattas with five or more races.
6. I think the CIM technical committee should consider allowing one professional skipper to attend and contribute to the annual technical meeting. It may be that the skipper could contribute solid practical advice.
7. I also think that Replicas should not be punished too hard by the rule. What is the difference between a yacht like Mariquita or Tuiga that was rebuilt from the keel up and someone else building a new yacht to original designs?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.