The latest news
Charles Collings had served his time with Robert Logan Sr and joined the Clare brothers in their boatbuilding business in St Mary’s Bay around 1903 as designer. He soon took over the business, which became Collings & Bell in 1909, and specialised in mullet boats, building boats which were amongst the best of their time. However, the firm soon concentrated on motor launches, particularly Collings’ square-bilge planing hulls for racing, whale chasing and game fishing.
In 1934 Collings went back to his roots to produce the crack 22ft L Class mullet boat Tamariki, following up with the crack 26-footer, the H Class Corona, in 1936. Both yachts dominated their classes for years.